BMO eclipse Visa Infinite
Rated 2.8/5 stars.
- 5pts Earn 5 points per $1 on approved gas, transit, grocery, and restaurant purchases.
- 1pts Earn 1 point per $1 on all other purchases.
- Great flexibility with how you can use points for travel and other rewards
- The $50 lifestyle credit applied annually to your statement
- Visa cards are accepted almost everywhere
- High rewards on food and transit
- Adding more users will increase your earn rate by 10%
- Significant annual fee
- High minimum annual income
- Other cards offer stronger travel insurance options including trip cancellation
- Small returns on regular purchases
The welcome bonus of up to 60,000 points and the waived annual fee in the first year are great hooks, but the ongoing yearly fee should be considered against these benefits. While the travel insurance options could be much more robust and should include trip cancellation, the $50 lifestyle credit is a great added perk.
The BMO eclipse Visa Infinite card is a new premium card for high-income earners from BMO. It sets itself apart from many other great credit cards by offering unique perks and features that are clearly targeted to millennials but have broad appeal.
Find out if the card suits your lifestyle in this detailed review of the BMO eclipse Visa Infinite Card.
BMO eclipse Visa Infinite: an overview
BMO refers to the eclipse Visa Infinite as a “lifestyle” credit card. For you, this means it offers lots of reward points on some non-traditional categories that go beyond the usual gas, bills and groceries.
For example, it provides points categories focused on restaurants and public transit and rideshares. It also has a transparent and flexible redemption schedule that allows you to redeem your points quickly and easily, in addition to insurance options, including some travel coverage.
Unfortunately, to get the BMO eclipse Visa Infinite, you will pay a higher annual fee and slightly higher interest rates on your unpaid balances.
However, BMO is offering a great deal to new applicants that includes up to 60,000 in bonus points and a rebate on the $120 annual fee. Another bonus is an annual $50 lifestyle credit too.
BMO eclipse Visa Infinite rewards
The BMO eclipse Visa offers a slate of rewards.
- 5x the BMO points offered on every $1 spent on groceries, dining in and out, and gas and transit, including both public and rideshares
- 1x the BMO points on every $1 spent on all other purchases
- 10% more points on all purchases when you add an additional account user
- $50 annual lifestyle credit you can use to pay off your card or buy something for yourself
Reward points example scenario
Points accumulation with the BMO eclipse Visa Infinite is straightforward. For example, let’s say in one month you spent $500 on groceries, $300 on transit, and an additional $200 on subscriptions and other bills.
Your points accumulation would look like this:
Groceries $500 x 5 = 2500 pts
Transit $300 x 5 = 1500 pts
Bills $200 x 1 = 200 pts
Assuming you made no other purchases on your Visa, you would accumulate 4200 points for that month that you can redeem on travel, investments, experiences, gift cards, merchandise, and statement credits.
BMO eclipse Visa Infinite eligibility
You can apply for the BMO eclipse Visa Infinite online or in person at any BMO bank. To be eligible, you must:
- Be a permanent Canadian resident
- Have not declared bankruptcy in the past seven years
- Have reached the age of majority in your province or territory (18 in AB, MB, ON, PEI, QC and SK and 19 in all other regions)
- Have a minimum personal annual income of $60,000 for individuals and $100,000 for households.
If you don’t meet these requirements, you can also qualify if you have spent at least $15,000 on all other credit cards over the last 12 months or spend a minimum of $1,250 on your cards each month. You must declare your annual or monthly spending on your application if you don’t meet the income requirements.
It’s also recommended that you have a credit score of at least 560+.
BMO eclipse Visa Infinite interest rates and fees
- Annual fee: $120
- Foreign transaction fee: 2.5%
- Extra card fee: $50
- Purchases: 20.99%
- Cash advances: 23.99%
- Cash advances (Quebec): 21.99%
BMO eclipse Visa Infinite perks
Wide range of insurance
Enjoy mobile device insurance up to $1,000, purchase security for 90 days, and extended warranty insurance one additional year. You also get emergency medical health insurance, common carrier accident insurance, and car rental insurance.
Visa Infinite benefits
Access the Luxury Hotel Collection, providing exclusive hotel perks such as complimentary breakfasts, the Dining Series, which delivers exclusive wine and multi-course meals to your home, and the Visa Infinite Concierge, offering personal assistant services such as securing concert tickets or reservations for you when you travel.
Finally, you can get discounts at 95 golf courses worldwide with the Visa Infinite Troon Golf Benefits.
Flexible reward redemption
Redeem points starting at $1 on any purchase, including travel and gift cards, or put them toward your statement.
Using the BMO app, control access to your card at any time, check your credit score, dispute a transaction on your statement, and view your financial insights.
Compare BMO eclipse Visa Infinite alternatives
BMO eclipse Visa Infinite
- Welcome Offer Get up to 60,000 points
- Annual Rewards $460
- Annual Fee $120 (first year waived)
- Minimum Income Required $60,000 (individual) $100,000 (household)
American Express Cobalt Credit Card
- Welcome Offer Up to 30,000 Membership Points
- Annual Rewards $1029
- Annual Fee $155.88
- Minimum Income Required None
CIBC Aventura Visa Infinite
- Welcome Offerr Up to to 35,000 Aventura points
- Annual Rewards $386
- Annual Fee $139 (first year rebated)
- Minimum Income Required Individual: $60,000 Household: $100,000
Our final thoughts
The BMO eclipse Visa Infinite card is a strong choice for anyone looking for a rewards credit card, particularly to collect points for groceries, dining in, and transit, and a simple, easy to understand points redemption process.
It will also appeal to families and others who can benefit from adding additional users to increase the earn rate.